Saturday, February 26, 2005

Why I Read Spick Spec Lit & "Review" It

RudyG

There's a lot of Chicano authors in the detective and mystery genres (and others). Maybe Ramos or somebody already adequately explained why, or will, one day.

I want to focus on spec lit (speculative--which includes, fantasy, horror, sci-fi, etc.) that's got Chicano characters in it, was written by a Chicano or somehow mixes us with these genres. I like such literature; I try to write it; I grew up reading it.

One of my grandfathers was a newspaper guy who published his own until he was run out of Mexico by a politically sensitive sheriff brandishing una pistola. That's the huevón side of my family. My other mexicano grandfather was said to have been a linguist-intellectual who spoke eight languages. Who knows? After the families crossed the border, the literacy level went down for a time, much was lost; my dad only spoke two languages, read sci-fi, back in the fifties.

He was from the cabrón side of my family. Typical aloof macho, child and wife beater, a frustrated electrician who let alcohol bring him down from the heights of aerospace electronics, back when the only time you saw any other mescan in the jet plane hangar was if he had a mop in his hand. Maybe my dad couldn't handle his success; that's why he drank. I've been there.

Anyway, he always read at night, mags and paperbacks, always sci-fi. One night before his fall from the Garden of Success, we all climbed into bed with him and he read us a short story. I think it was called "The Rag Thing," about una gara that'd fallen behind a stove, collected grease and dust and somehow came alive, grew monstrous and went into town to eat the whole thing and everybody in it.

Problem is, my dad didn't finish the story, never read to us again, that I remember. Me and my sibs had gotten into the story, so I wound up finishing it for them.

He's dead now, the cabrón, but my love of spec lit lives.

Not in memory of him--'cause I hate his memory--but just because I don't see anybody else doing it, I'm going to sorta review what I call Spick Spec Lit. I say sorta, 'cause I ain't no reviewer, I don't do it well, and I'm not interested in reviewing. But I do want to concentrate on how Chicanos are portrayed in these genres. When I write about a piece done by a Chicano, yes, there will be more of what might be considered a review.

Unlike mystery and detective novels, there don't seem to be many Chicanos writing fantasy, sci-fi or horror. I don't know why.

I won't attempt some cheesy explanation that we don't write fantasy 'cause our culture is regularly so filled with fantasy--la Llorona, cuanderas and the kind of giant cockroaches that only grow in the barrio--altho it is. I won't say we avoid sci-fi 'cause we have so few who make it to college to even become scientists to be equipped to write it, altho that too is true. Nor will I venture that poverty, repression and discrimination give us enuf everyday horror that writing such fiction would be like adding tabasco to our habañero sauce.

Anyway, I think Spick Spec Lit is an under-reported area, and I'm going to hit it, in my own irreverent, sometimes too-frank of a way. I'll ask my contributor colleagues to help keep me in line.

My previous article "A Light Case of Cultural Appropriation", about a sci-fi novel, was my first contribution.

If anyone out there, all six or seven of you, has any suggestions about writers, books I should cover, let me know. Also, if anyone hears of short stories, etc. that I might not know of, do let me know, even about out-of-print ones.

NB: Science fiction writers hate the label sci-fi, but if I use SF, many readers won't recognize it, and science fiction is 9 unnecessary letters too long. So, tough it up, por favor.

R.Ch.Garcia

4 comments:

Manuel Ramos said...

RudyG says: "I want to focus on spec lit (speculative--which includes, fantasy, horror, sci-fi, etc.) that's got Chicano characters in it, was written by a Chicano or somehow mixes us with these genres." You asked the other day about suggestions and I couldn't think of any. My bad. Check out Daniel Olivas and his second collection of short stories, Devil Talk. Your definition includes fantasy or horror and I think Daniel's stories in this collection qualify. His webiste is http://www.danielolivas.com/

Manuel

Anonymous said...

I just pickeed up Devil Talk this week and look forward to reading it.

BTW, I hope no one thinks I'm trying to lay sole claim to this genre. If you've got your own take, don't wait for me.
RudyG

Anonymous said...

I found your blog while googling Nina Marie Martinez, author of Caramba. While I realize that this entry is actually about a year old.. I did want to you tell you about a chicano author by the name of N.L. Belardes. His e-book Thick White Crust Thick White Crust is Chicano literature straight from the Southern San Joaquin Valley. This experimental novella, the story of travels from Las Vegas to California is a monument to one man's beliefs in ghosts and visions as a result of lost love in a post-terrorized society.

If that's not enough for you, his book Lords Part One takes us into the lives of prominent Bakersfield politicians/men who lead double lives as pedophiles. (sounds familiar?)This book is based on true events that were chronicled in the Bakersfield Californian after the editor(I believe?) was named as a suspect in a high profile case.

Anyways, we read his book Lords for our Chicano Book Club where he graciously met with us to discuss and answer questions regarding the book. So there you go. Two out-of-the-norm Chicano books.

~norma

Anonymous said...

I meant to use itallics on the description of Thick White Crust, since I basically cut and paste the description off of his website. oops.
~norma